Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Work Instructions



I am surprised at how happy I am to be in the beating heart of the campus. Now I have my own office, which unfortunately does not overlook the lake. Instead, it overlooks the carillon. (I have not heard it playing yet, though.) When I mentioned to Tiffy and the Daughter of Denni that at my last job I was expected to figure out my job myself, but then I was expected to leave explicit instructions for my replacement, they had both had the same experience themselves. We didn’t know if it was a generational thing, like that Gen X-ers were expected to be self-reliant enough to figure things out ourselves, but the Millennials need to be told how to do everything. However, Tiffy thinks that in the old days they always had instructions for how a person had to do their job, so maybe we just came in during a weird phase when jobs were becoming more computerized, so that what the previous person did had nothing to do with what we were expected to do. Anyway, it made me feel better that I wasn’t the only one who had this experience. Has anyone else had this happen? Feel free to describe your experience in the comments section.

Famous Hat

No comments: