Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Feeling Awed



I really like a song called “Wet Dreams” by J. Cole, about two teenagers having sex for the first time. I suppose one could listen to it and be offended that it is about sex outside of marriage, but what I do like about it is that it somehow captures the wonder of being initiated into this sacred act. Because while sex is a basic urge like eating and sleeping, it is also one of the most sacred things in the world because it can lead to the creation of new life, and somehow this song treats it with the awe it deserves. While I (sadly) will never get to participate in the creation of new life, I find there are many other occasions for awe in this world, and really, that to me is what separates people: those who are capable of feeling awe, and those who aren’t. Awe is the acknowledgement that there is something greater than you are, and it’s amazing how many hip hop songs can inspire that feeling; another example is “Tennessee,” by Arrested Development. When I am overcome by awe, I literally start crying, which is sort of embarrassing when it’s in the middle of Mass and I’m thinking about how grateful I am to God, but I’d rather be a person who could be moved by awe than one who can’t feel it. That would be worse than never experiencing joy! Really, for me they are the same thing because I am so happy that an infinite, perfect being exists who loves me.

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Richard Bonomo said...

" Really, for me they are the same thing because I am so happy that an infinite, perfect being exists who loves me."

Very well put.