Monday, March 18, 2019

Cuban, Renaissance, and Irish Music Weekend



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Friday we had an interesting lunch hour program at work about Women’s History Month, and a third-shift worker sang “Cielitos Lindos” beautifully. In the evening Travalon and I had fish at Nick’s, then we saw the Afro-Cuban All Stars at the Overture Center. The concert was not that well attended, sadly, but the audience that was there was very enthusiastic. I love Cuban music!

Saturday I drove to Milwaukee to hang out with Tiffy. We had lunch at a Mideastern restaurant on Brady Street, then we walked to the university campus for a silent auction/chocolate reception. I did end up bidding on a sailboat ride for four (and won), but there was a lute-shaped guitar I was torn about. It was very pretty, but do I need another instrument? And how would I lug it the three-plus miles back to Brady Street? In the end I saw some people from the Madison Classical Guitar Society who said it was not worth what they wanted for the opening bid, so I did not bid on it… nor did anyone else. Then there was a concert featuring two of the greatest lutenists in the world playing Italian and English Renaissance music, and that was amazing. On our walk back to Brady Street, Tiffy and I stopped at an Ethiopian restaurant for dinner and got the vegetarian sampler for two, since I have given up meat for Lent. A really great day, but I did miss the fabulous birthday party for the Japanese professor who always comes to visit Rich. Travalon, meanwhile, was at the boys’ basketball state tournament.

Yesterday after Mass, Travalon and I went to Rich’s house to say goodbye to the Japanese professor, and he fed us leftovers from the night before. Then Jilly Moose and Luxuli joined us for the St. Patrick’s Day parade around the Square, with pipes and drums and crazy things like the guy in the giant hamster wheel and the other guy driving a sort of motorized unicycle, only instead of the seat being above the wheel, it was inside of the one big tire. Then we walked to the Brink Lounge for the Celtic Center’s St. Patrick’s Day extravaganza. Lots of Irish bands and dancers, and I knew someone there so we scored some free pizza because they had leftovers. When Prairie Man arrived, he ordered more pizza. After that I didn’t need dinner! I feel like we did St. Patrick’s Day justice, but of course I forgot to wear my Kelly green derby that I can only really wear this time of year. Oh well… next year.

Famous Hat

No comments: