Monday, March 11, 2019

Powwow and Bucks Game



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Friday Travalon and I met for lunch at the University Club, so then we stayed in for dinner and had a quiet evening at home. Saturday we met Rich and some of the Rosary Ladies for coffee, then Jilly Moose, OK Cap, Cali, and I prayed a rosary before Travalon and I headed to Milwaukee. We went to a powwow on the State Fairgrounds, and I bought some beautiful beaded earrings. We watched lots of dancing and had some fry bread. Then we headed to Mass at the Cathedral, which has a strange statue of Jesus on a spike (not a crucifix), holding a wishbone. Not sure what that’s about… We went to the Bucks game; they were playing the Hornets, and that great Badger player from a few years ago, Frank Kaminsky, is on their team. He didn’t start, but everyone cheered when he came out to play. I hoped he would have a good game, but that they wouldn’t beat our Bucks. He was on fire, but maybe too much because they were leading the Bucks by 14 points in the second quarter! Still, you can’t count Giannis and his buddies out, because they are the top team in the league this year and they play like it. Everyone gets a chance to score, and this time Lopez and DiVincienzo had great games. Of course I was wearing my #34 Antetokounmpo jersey, the one Travalon won a couple of years ago that doesn’t fit him, and there was a surreal moment on the way home when we stopped at a rest stop and everyone in there had on the same jersey. I hope he wins MVP this year! And yes, the Bucks did win decisively.

Yesterday we slept in, since we had already gone to Mass, and hey, the time change. Who wants to deal with that? Then we went to Common Ground for brunch, which was free for me because my band had a gig there. As always, my old-fashioned mandolin got a lot of attention. It’s such a beautiful instrument, and people are never quite sure what it is. They often guess that it’s a mandolin, but sometimes they think it’s a lute. Because, you know, people just can’t get enough of that bluegrass lute. Travalon and I had to move a plant from Rich’s house to my office, then we went out to Sauk, but we only saw one eagle flying over the bluffs in the distance. Eagle watching days are over, but that’s good news because it means warmer weather is here. Hopefully it is here to stay! We went back to Rich’s house to say hi to the Japanese professor who comes to visit every year, and the various students he brings with him. Then we went to bed early in hopes of making this morning less painful. I have only one question about Daylight Saving Time – why???

Famous Hat


No comments: