Friday, March 1, 2019

Mr. Why Gone a Decade



Today is a very sad anniversary: the tenth anniversary of Mr. Why’s death. At his funeral, people came whom we hadn’t seen in ten years, and we all said, “We need to get together before another ten years go by!” Well, guess what? They have, and we still haven’t gotten together. The usual suspects will converge upon his grave at some point, but of course we all have a very busy weekend coming up, and the weather is not going to be cooperative either. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Mr. Why, since you chose your own date of demise, why couldn’t you have picked a warmer month??

There is another building on campus that I often have to go to for business reasons, and earlier this week when I was there, I saw they had a magic banner. You could write something on a piece of paper, stick it to this banner, and it would just stay there somehow. The topic was supposed to be “What makes your heart sing?” and people had written things like puppies, snorkeling, and brunch. All wonderful things, but when I thought about what makes my heart truly sing, the obvious answer was God. You wouldn’t think that would be a controversial answer, but this is a college campus, so I thought for a minute before deciding why not – I  wrote “GOD” on a piece of paper and stuck it to the magic banner. Today I had to go back to this building again for another errand, and at least nobody had removed my piece of paper, but someone had stuck another one right next to it that said: “The Atonement.” I am sure that is a sarcastic comment on my piece of paper, because who would feel joyous about the Atonement? But if you really can’t see why God would make a person feel joyous, then I sure do feel sorry for you.

Famous Hat

No comments: