Thursday, February 2, 2023

Singing: I'm So Out of Practice

 

Tonight at Night Prayer I reminded everyone that this might be my last time joining them for the next two weeks. From the road I might be able to join now and then, but I can't commit to leading. I'll bet the Dairyman's Daughter will not miss me telling her that every Common Meter hymn can be sung to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme song, because she always covers her ears and says, "Stop!" It's true - just try singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune, and you will never be able to not hear it. Speaking of singing, the bride has asked Richard Bonomo and me to sing with the choir at her wedding, and we happily agreed (so relieved not to have a solo!), but the soprano parts are quite high. I haven't sung with a choir in three years, and I wonder if I can still hit those notes. One piece is "If Ye Love Me" by Tallis, and I know both women's parts fairly well but have sung the alto more times. The other is the Arcadelt "Ave Maria," which I don't really know (though it sounds familiar); I remember Anna Banana II wanted it at her wedding, but she wanted Kathbert and me to sing a duet, while that piece is a four-part one. We ended up singing a different "Ave Maria." I'm not sure why our choir couldn't have sung the Arcadelt for Anna Banana II's wedding, but sometimes our choir director (who retired during the pandemic) didn't like to do pieces he wasn't familiar with. Which I totally understand, especially since he was visually impaired so sight-reading was more challenging for him.

My big decision tomorrow is whether to go into campus. Friday is one of my regular days (along with Tuesday) to work from home, but tomorrow there are going to be Ojibwe Winter Games, and I helped a lot with the organization. My boss even said I could go for an hour or whatever and not take vacation time. The games start at three, so I could work at home in the morning and go in for the afternoon. However, the temperature is supposed to be five degrees Fahrenheit, and why would I voluntarily subject myself to that if I can stay holed up in my warm house? But the faculty have worked very hard to put on these games, and I feel bad now that they may not get a lot of student participation. There will be people there, since we have the guests from Norway and also people coming down from the Lac du Flambeau reservation. Some days I don't mind winter so much, and today was like that as I walked out in the sunshine, but it was twenty degrees warmer than what they're predicting for tomorrow. Maybe I'll wait and see what the windchill is. Stay tuned to see what I decide to do...


Famous Hat


No comments: