Thursday, October 10, 2024

Aurora Borealis

 

Yesterday I went to work but came home sick late in the morning, and I never felt better the rest of the day. The weather was lovely so I took a couple of walks, but I was very stuffy and light-headed. Today I worked on campus and had my monthly meeting afterwards, so Travalon picked me up. We tried to go to Banzo, but they had a half-hour wait, so we went to the co-op and bought Banzo falafel and hummus, as well as some pita bread, and we made sandwiches at home. Travalon had a chicken and hummus pita sandwich. So good, and so easy to make.

I had heard that there would be spectacular northern lights tonight, and then during Night Prayer, Tiffy texted me a couple that she took over the lake in Racine.


Wow! After Night Prayer I went out onto the dock, and I could see some, but nothing like that. Here's an example photo.


Richard Bonomo came over, since he lives on the south side of town and would have to look over the city lights to see the northern lights. We went out to Bong Road, and at first the northern lights were barely visible to the naked eye, but we could see them when we took 3-second exposures on our phones.


But after a while, they got more intense, and we could see the pinks and greens with our eyes.












We could have watched them all night, but eventually we headed back to my place, and I joined Travalon on our dock, where you could see them almost as well.




Suddenly they began to flicker, and then they raced over us in waves like they had in April 2023. Those pictures aren't as cool - no pink. They kind of quieted down, and we took that as our cue to head inside and get ready for bed. It's late, but at least I can sleep in a bit tomorrow, since I'm working from home. And it's not like you get to see northern lights every night.


Famous Hat


No comments: