Friday, October 4, 2024

Oktoberfest at the Edgewater

 

Wednesday night I was starting to feel a little bit bad, and yesterday I woke up feeling awful. The worst part was that the Red Cross had asked me to call if I felt sick in the next few days, so I was afraid they were going to discard all that Type O blood I had just given them. However, they asked me a bunch of questions that I answered, "No," like, "Do you have a fever? Are you vomiting?" so maybe they can still use my blood. I did work, but from home. 

Today I felt a little better, but it was my usual day to work from home, so that helped. When Travalon came home, we went to the Edgewater for their Oktoberfest. I wore my "Deutschland" hat.


They had advertised having schnitzel, brats, and spaetzle, as well as pretzels. We had to wait in a very long, slow line for food, and then when we got up there, they were out of spaetzle. Bummer! We each had a schnitzel, and we split a pretzel. I did enjoy the breaded modern dinosaur on a stick, but so much for avoiding meat on a Friday. (The spaetzle was vegetarian, just cheese.) Travalon had a beer; I didn't get one, since they had recommended avoiding alcohol for a few days after a blood donation, but I had a few sips of his. We sat listening to an oompah band that also played old country, like Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard. The party was over by eight, so we headed home for a quiet evening, but first we stopped at Culver's because Travalon wanted the flavor of the day, salted caramel pecan pie. I had a vague memory that I hadn't been too excited by that flavor, but I did have a few bites of his while he drove home, and it was pretty tasty. However, a few bites was all I really wanted - a whole dish of it would have been too much.

As I sat on our porch, I kept hearing a train whistle in the distance. Travalon had once said that we should go to the nearby train crossing some night, since the train tends to come by sometime between 11:30-12:55 most nights. It wasn't even ten, but I thought maybe it was coming early tonight. We parked close to the crossing and walked on the bike path that crosses it. We saw some lights, as if people with flashlights were walking along the track. When we turned to go back, the headlights from the cars driving down the road kind of blinded me, and I stepped off the edge of the sidewalk, fell, and kind of banged up my hands. I am not badly injured, more just embarrassed. We could still hear the train whistle in the distance, but it never seemed to come closer, so we gave up and came home. I suppose it will pass by after we are in bed.


Famous Hat


1 comment:

Jilly Moose said...

I still have my Deutschland hat.