Monday, October 7, 2024

Recovering from the Ice Age Trail

 

This morning when I got up, I could barely walk because my left ankle was so sore. Fortunately I worked from home, since limping all over campus did not sound appealing. Travalon got me an ace bandage, and after I wrapped that around my foot, it was a little easier to walk. All the same, I only got about half my steps today. Searching the internet to figure out what went wrong seemed to imply that I really need a good pair of hiking boots to support my ankles, because my sneaks just don't have enough support for walking over such rough terrain and that leads to muscle strain. Maybe... Rich, Kathbert, and Travalon didn't have the same problem, and they weren't wearing hiking boots either, so maybe I'm just so fat that the extra weight is crushing my ankles. I have gained a lot of weight (not sure why) since the height of the pandemic, when we first started doing the Mammoth Challenge and I didn't have problems. 

When Travalon came home from work, we went to Culver's and had Curder Burgers, which are a burger with a great big cheese curd on top. I wouldn't eat one every day, but they only have them this time of year anyway, for National Cheese Curd Day. Then we went to the health club to swim the Curder Burger off. That was my big exercise for the day; at lunch I had gone out to pray a rosary, but instead of walking, I sat on the bench on the tennis court. I also took very, very short walks at my usual breaks in the morning and afternoon. The weather was perfect - I had to get out there. Hopefully I recover by tomorrow, when I have to be on campus again. I trust I'll be recovered by the next time we can get out on the trail. We are slightly over halfway done, so it's not a big hurry, since we have all month. We also have other ways to "earn" miles, like joining the Ice Age Alliance, if for some reason I cannot hike for the rest of the month. Which seems unlikely; I have overdone it before and recovered after a day or two, and while this time seemed worse than ever, I trust I'll be back to walking normally by the end of the week.


Famous Hat


No comments: