Sunday, October 6, 2024

Crushing the Cross Plains Segment of the Ice Age Trail

 

This morning when we went to Mass in the gym, I was pretty disgusted that the deacon gave a homily in which he basically told us who to vote for. Church is supposed to be for spirituality, not politics, and while I have no problem with the clergy telling us which things our leaders are advocating are sins, they need to be fair and talk about the sins on both sides, otherwise they really are campaigning for someone. I was so disgusted that I'm not sure I'll go to Mass there again, or ever again, or at least not until the election is over. Keep checking this space to see if I've given up on the American Catholic church yet.

Today Rich and Kathbert joined us on the Ice Age Trail. We went to a segment southeast of Cross Plains, from which you can see Blue Mounds in the distance.


In fact, the views were spectacular in every direction.




Then we took the trail that goes through the woods. We took the loop and ended up hiking about six miles. Here are some photos from the trail.


This tree made an arch over the trail.


Check out these mushrooms.


Travalon said he had to take a picture with people in it, so here we are on a bridge. There are a number of bridges and boardwalks on this segment.


You could see the quarry pond from the trail, and it looked very turquoise.


My Irish teacher changed our chat time from the wildly inconvenient hour of 4:00 on Sunday afternoon to 3:30, as if that's an improvement. Since the loop was a lot longer than we'd thought, we were just getting off the trail at 3:30. By the time I logged into the Irish chat, it was almost over, and the teacher thought I'd forgotten the new time, but no, I had not forgotten. I am just a slow hiker who chose too long of a hike.

We watched what was left of the Packer game at home, and Jilly Moose watched it with her buddy Chambord.


I had to head to band practice, so I listened to the last few moments on the car radio, and the Packers beat the Rams. It was a satisfying game because they were worthy opponents. Once again Hardingfele was not at band practice, so once again I played melody on the mandolin since we only had one violin. I could have brought my violin, had I known, but the beauty of the mandolin is I can jump in on chords if needed, like when the guitarist and bassist weren't sure about a chord. I'm pretty good at figuring out what chords should go where in a song, at least if it's in a simple key like G or D. I also played harmony I'd made up myself on some songs. When I got home, Travalon and I brought all the inside plants that were outside back inside, since it's supposed to get really cold tonight. Some of them really loved being outside, but a couple of them died, and I think the dracaena that Greg decapitated died. I had planted the top in case it would take root, but it didn't. More surprisingly, it didn't grow a new top. In my experience, they usually do, but I guess Greg really did murder this other plant. He's such a bad plant.

Travalon was happy because the Padres beat the Dodgers. His two Premier League teams, Wolverhampton and Crystal Palace, both lost yesterday. The Badgers really beat up Purdue, and Holy Cross (a team he follows) also won. Holy Cross is in a small league, and the production value of the broadcast is way worse than the Badgers, but the football is purer. Not corrupted by Big Money... yet. Big Money is finally coming for women's sports, since a lot of people have gotten fed up with the corruption in men's sports and are watching the women instead, so it may come for small Catholic college sports too.


Famous Hat


No comments: