Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Volunteering at the Benefits Fair

 

Today I worked on campus. My colleague and I went to the Benefits Fair and collected lots of swag, then she went to a presentation on saving for retirement while I sat at the table for our union's local with the president and a member-at-large. All the locals were kind of back in a corner, so we didn't get as much foot traffic as some of the tables for health insurance and financial planners up at the front of the room, but on the other hand we were by the windows, so we got natural light. A few people did talk to us about how they want the union to make a comeback. One person did puzzle us, though, because he said how badly he wanted the union to make a comeback, but then he said the political party that can do that is the one that has written a whole manifesto about how they want to do away with unions. When I pointed this out, he got very hostile and said no, that party isn't going to do that! How dare I say that! It does seem very puzzling that a political party can publicly state their plans and yet people will deny that's what they're going to do. I mean, if you agree with what they say they want to do, I guess I understand lying about it, since it's not popular with the general public, but this guy seemed really pro-union. I don't get it.

I didn't get a chance to walk at lunch, but on my walk back to the office I only needed six more minutes to get a workout, so I thought, "I'll walk the distance it takes to play a typical pop song, and then when it's done I'll walk back." For some reason the song that popped into my head was "Mary's Prayer" by Meet Danny Wilson, so I played the song in my head, then at the end I turned around and walked back, and it was exactly the right timing. Got my workout!

I had to sneak out of work a few minutes early to catch the earlier shuttle, so I didn't take my afternoon break to make up the time. The shuttle came just before five, so I didn't get my last move hours before getting on it. It wouldn't take 250 steps to get to my car from the shuttle, unless I took a convoluted route, but then would my fellow shuttle riders think I was nuts? It was a moot point, because I heard a train, so I walked to where I thought I could see it (didn't see it) and got my move hours that way, and they probably thought I was nuts for caring about a train. Then somehow I got my steps for the day while walking into the church for adoration. So I got all my move hours, a workout, and my steps for the day without taking any long, vigorous walks, which is probably good since my ankle is much better but no need to stress it. And I even got all my active minutes! So it was a successful exercise day without even trying too hard.


Famous Hat


No comments: