Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Jinxed Blood Donation Day

 

Sorry for the silence the last few days, but nothing really exciting happened, and I didn't have the energy to do anything creative. I did do some DuoLingo.


Today I had an adventure. It started when I couldn't get the garage door to close with the clicker, and I didn't have time to go in, close it from the button inside the garage, and then run all the way back around the building to my car, so I texted Travalon: "Help! The garage door won't close!" Then, as I drove to the shuttle, the low-tire light came on in my car, but I didn't have time to do anything about that, either. I got to the shuttle in plenty of time, but then traffic was really bad. A colleague was in the elevator, so I mentioned the inauspicious start to my day, and he said, "I hope it gets better!" At least I did save another person heartache, because I saw that she hadn't put the parking tag on her rearview mirror, so I warned her because the word is they will ticket you without it.

As I have mentioned before, the Red Cross calls me every other day begging for my blood, so when there was a blood drive two blocks from my office, I decided to do it. It was a lovely day temperature-wise, so I walked over, took the elevator to the sixth floor... and immediately regretted every life choice that had gotten me to that point. This building had an open plan with floor-to-ceiling glass separating the narrow walkway from the six-story plunge, and I had to walk halfway around it to get to the blood draw area. That was far scarier than the actual blood donation, but for the first time ever, I felt a bit woozy afterwards. They made me lie back down with a cold cloth on my head and brought me a juice box, just like I've seen them do for other woozy people as I always hopped off the donation table and bounced out to the canteen area. Today I eventually made it to the canteen area, then I took an elevator right behind me down so I didn't have to walk around that scary area again, and then I walked back to work in the autumn sunshine, not quite feeling like I was in reality. I'd been planning to walk with my colleague after that, but we both agreed that would not be the most prudent course of action.

I had a long meeting this afternoon that was supposed to end at 3:30, and at 3:29, as the leader was saying, "Great work today, everyone!" the others all froze. I realized I must have been the one who froze... and then Zoom kicked me off. I came out of my office, and all my coworkers had been in Zoom meetings too, so they all came out, and my boss came around and said, "Did the internet just stop working for you?" Whatever happened, it was quickly resolved. 

I tend not to drink water for an hour before taking the shuttle, although it does have a bathroom on it - my engrained habit from taking the city bus, which has no such amenities. Today I was dying of thirst, and then I remembered they said I should stay well-hydrated after the blood donation. So I hoped to get home quickly and drink water... and then I remembered that I had to fill my car tires with air. Sigh. And now I feel like I'm getting a cold, or is it allergies? COVID? Who knows? The Red Cross people said to call some number if I get sick, so now I'm wondering if I donated for nothing, and they will just throw my blood away. What a day.


Famous Hat


No comments: