Monday, March 23, 2009

My Two Cents' Worth

Today I don't have any deep thoughts for a Lenten reflection. It was a beautiful weekend, and Hardingfele and I were going to run again (still training for the triathlon...) but our schedules didn't coincide, so I hiked with Rich, Kathbert, and Anna Banana II. Saturday the Mideastern band I play with had a gig, and so many people came that the restaurant sold out of just about everything!! They said they would like us to come back again... and again and again! They would have liked us to play once a month, but we thought that would be too often so we're thinking once a season. This gig was on the vernal equinox, so we could play again on the summer solstice, the autumnal equinox, and the winter solstice.

I talked Rich and Kathbert into accompanying me to the local coin show, hoping to find lots of mint errors. They had plenty of silver dollars, and one guy was selling really cool ancient Greek coins for about $400 apiece, but there weren't too many mint errors. One place had (for display purposes only, I assume, since there was no price on it) a dollar bill from the 1930s with the seals on the back switched somehow. I did end up buying a coin for 200 times its face value:


Penny that says "Liiberty" instead of "Liberty"




Penny Cake that says "Rich and Abe" instead of "Liberty"

I think the cake was probably worth more than $2! But I can no longer have it appraised, since it has long since been consumed. Kathbert says her grandfather left her a collection of old coins, so I told her to get them appraised. Who knows, maybe she will be the first independently wealthy person I know!

Famous Hat

No comments: