Saturday, March 28, 2009

T is Back Up Over!

T is back from Down Under, and she really enjoyed her trip. She fed kangaroos (the "deer of Australia") and saw lorikeets and koalas in the trees. The funniest part of the trip was when she and her cousin saw a street artist in Sydney, who called on her cousin to help him with his act. (Her cousin really stands out in a crowd; he's 6'7", or as he once told a woman who asked his height, 5'19" and she replied in surprise, "Wow, I could have sworn you were over six feet!") The artist asked T's cousin to put him in a strait jacket so he could escape from it, and he reminded him, "Now don't cock this up because it will be my ass on the line. Remember - your cock-up, my ass!" (You might have to say that out loud to get it.) T got really into cricket and "footie," which is something like American football and rugby combined, but she said you can't "root" for your favorite team because that's a naughty expression over there, so you have to "barrack" for them. Also, people ask how you're going instead of how you're doing.

The other night I dreamed that T and I were going to a show on some holiday, like New Year's Eve or something, but my parents were visiting so we had to bring them. To make things even more Freudian, we ran into old Hoodoo Head, whom I have mentioned previously. We went to a nightclub where a rock band was playing, and their final number was a rousing number in Hawaiian with a raucous chorus of nonsense words (No way, ee-whoo) that we all sang along to. There was even a hula dancer! T and I were totally getting into the song, but my parents and Hoodoo Head were bemused by the whole thing, since they didn't know the song and wondered how we knew it so well. I woke up in a WONDERFUL mood and quickly recorded the song on my answering machine while it was still stuck in my head. It doesn't sound familiar, but Siddhartha the Turtle of Enlightenment will sing it for you, and you can tell me if you recognize it.




Famous Hat

No comments: