Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Battlescar Glorifica

My Lenten reflection for today is on the glorification of the wounds we suffer in this life. I have heard a number of priests say that our scars in this life, both physical and emotional, will not be erased from our glorified bodies at the resurrection but will be glorified themselves and will add to our glory. An analogy (you knew it was coming): I have a rhodalite (low-grade garnet) I was given at a jewelry show, and I decided to have it polished and set in a ring. When it was polished, a flaw that had been hidden in it showed up as a vermilion streak in the middle of the dull purple stone. It looked like a sunset! The jeweler who polished it for me said the flaw made it much more beautiful, and I agree. In the same way, our scars and flaws will transform us from plain old low-grade rhodalites to unique and beautiful jewels.

People often wonder why the Apostles couldn't recognize Jesus after His resurrection until He spoke to them. I would think there is a simple explanation: His body was already glorified, and that certainly included the wounds He had received during His Passion. He was beaten and scourged and pierced by thorns, nails, and a lance. He probably had a glorified black eye or two and a glorified fat lip on top of everything else. If He was that badly beaten, He would have been hard enough to recognize even before glorification! We can't really criticize the Apostles, since we have never seen someone face-to-face in a glorified body, never mind one whose face had been beaten to a pulp before glorification. I for one cannot say if I'd know my own best friend or brother by sight in such a circumstance!

Famous Hat

No comments: