Monday, June 8, 2009

Random Monday Post

So it's Bike to Work Week, but this morning it was raining so once again I wimped out and took the bus. That's OK, I only committed to biking three times this week, and what are they going to do if I don't meet my quota, anyhow?

Tiffy came up this weekend, and on Friday night we went to Barnacle Bob's seafood restaurant and sat out on the deck overlooking the lake as we enjoyed coconut shrimp (me) and lobster tail (Tiffy) and brandy alexanders (both of us). It's a good thing we took advantage of the balmy evening, because Saturday it was COLD. In the evening we went to the outdoor theater with Rich, Anna Banana II, and her housemate Jillymoose. We all wore lots of layers and brought blankets, as well as rain ponchos that we didn't end up needing. (Thank goodness!) With all those layers, we were perfectly comfortable, and the cold kept the mosquitoes away. Beforehand there was a huge potluck, since it was the season opener, and then we saw Shakespeare's A Comedy of Errors, which was hilarious! Don't you hate when twin boys and their twin servants get separated just after birth and then meet up years later? It leads to so much confusion... especially when both sets of twins somehow end up with the same names like, say, Antipholos and Dromio. What a wacky coincidence. More coincidences ensued when Tiffy and I decided to purchase some hot cocoa during intermission, and a familiar-looking girl in line asked if I had gone on a Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago. Turns out it was my travel agent! She made a career change and now works at the same software company as the still-available B-Boy (who was also at this show, but he had driven up with Cecil Markovitch), and the next day she was going to Japan... just like Richard Bonomo had! I was beginning to feel like we were in our own farce, and no matter what she thought up next, we would have someone along who knew something about it.

Yesterday Tiffy and I saw Up in 3-D, which costs a little more but was totally worth the price. I highly recommend the movie. Children's movies often are much better than adult ones, because all the time they can't fill with gratuitous sex and violence they use for plot and character development. This one was particularly magical, with talking dogs, colorful birds, and a house carried by a bunch of helium balloons, and the protagonist was elderly. It was refreshing to see a geriatric hero - at a time when many people think life is over, he was just embarking on a new adventure!

This weekend I had the goofiest dream about Early Music Camp, that they handed us our music and my eyes just about popped out when I saw a high E. The other first sopranos weren't too worked up about it, and my OTHER choir director said, "If you consider yourself a real soprano, you should be able to hit an E. Besides, it's only an E flat." Now a high E could be hit by a few sopranos, I'm sure, since the "Queen of the Night" aria from Mozart's The Magic Flute requires a high F, but in reality I rarely see choral music that goes higher than a high A. Anyway, in real life I am usually panicking about how low I have to sing, since I am not an alto but am forced to sing that range in my own church choir, and anything below a low A is a real stretch for me. In fact, in the "Crucifixus" from Bach's Mass in B Minor, I panicked upon spotting an F, and my OWN choir director said, "It's an F sharp," so maybe that was all this dream was about.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Your dream about early music camp could have been a nightmare - Bridge Burner could sign up for the thing again and then leave in a huff after a few hours. Try hitting those notes in the ultrasonic range :-)

And guess what that word verification is for this post. Very apropos. Oviol. Sounds a bit renaissance

Famous Hat said...

Mine is "juntab." I googled Oviol and it's some kind of Norse surname. Maybe Osby from my novel can have a buddy called Oviol who plays the viol.