Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ring in the Sky

I have nothing to really blog about today, other than how I transplanted a baby African violet from my "plant nursery" into its own pot for Kathbert, and I tried to separate two Christmas cacti that grew from cuttings my mom gave me, but they had merged so I had to put the whole thing into a bigger pot, and how I moved Dr. Cheung from a five-ton clay pot with no drainage to a bigger, lighter plastic pot with drainage, but my last bajillion posts have been about plants. So instead I will relate a story that was on CNN.com:

A family was at a theme park and saw a ring in the sky, which they filmed. A UFOlogist says it looks like smoke from a ride called the Volcano, but he thinks it is actually a UFO because it matches pictures of other unexplained objects from the 50s. (Presumably they did not have smoke rings in the 50s). The people who actually saw it, however, say it wasn't a UFO but a sign from God, so they went home and prayed. While I believe that course of action is never a mistake, I could buy the ring of smoke theory. Once Tiffy and I went to a 4th of July celebration that included paratroopers jumping from a plane, fighter planes with afterburners flying overhead, and a helicopter that lowered a jeep and then a Howitzer, or some kind of big gun on wheels. They fired the Howitzer, and it made perfect smoke rings that drifted across the sky. If there is a ride called the Volcano, and it lets off smoke in perfect rings, we might as well just accept the principle of Occam's Razor that the most obvious, simplest explanation is almost always the right one.

Then again, maybe it is that Ring of Fire that Johnny Cash sang about.

Famous Hat

No comments: