Thursday, June 4, 2009

Warning to All Fish Owners

The Hostages: Arphaxad and Amminadab

(I have to post this now because Hardingfele already commented about it on my previous post.)

The following is a real dialogue taken from Librarian's MyFace page. It was sent to me by Hardingfele since, as all five of my faithful readers know, I am the "oppressor" of two very spoiled goldfish, Arphaxad and Amminadab. Apparently there are those misguided souls out there who would like to liberate A&A, as well as Nemo Two and Blue and all other fish held hostage in bowls and aquariums across this nation. I assume Hardingfele is referring to me and my little prisoners when she mentions her friend with the fish with unpronounceable names.

For Hardingfele: that would be [AR-faks-ad] and [uh-MIN-uh-dab]

***********************************************

(Yesterday at 5:15 pm) Librarian is rolling her eyes right now. The animal rights coalition came in to the library today. They wanted us to surrender our goldfish, Moby. Moby is thriving. He is four years old, has the cleanest fish tank I have ever seen. Our head librarian keeps up with the latest articles on goldfish care, and sometimes chops up frozen peas to make sure he has enough fiber. This is NOT a neglected fish. AAAAaaargh.

Friend #1 at 5:55pm June 3
It's sushi night and they were short . . .

Friend #2 at 6:09pm June 3
Did you tell them they can take your gold fish when they pry it from your cold, dead fingers?

Hardingfele at 6:23pm June 3
Geez, dont they have bigger fish to fry :-) sorry I could not resist the pun. My friend's fish with unpronounceable names (she is also on myface) also get peas and actually beg for it. Just dont tell these people where I work.....

Friend #3 at 8:07pm June 3
I hope someone told them where to get off?

Hardingfele at 8:50pm June 3
Um and where would they release Moby. Goldfish are not native MN fish, so they would only survive in an aquarium or become an invasive (they are related to carp). So they would have to put him in an aquarium, which is basically the same situation that he is in now.

Friend #3 at 9:03pm June 3
Or stick him in the freezer for a relatively pain free death to free his fishy soul...

Friend #4 at 9:15pm June 3
Do ya think that "THEY" might need to do a little research themselves about Goldfish??:)

Librarian at 9:41pm June 3
#3: No one told them off but oh god we wanted to. As public servants we had to listen to them. For 45 minutes. Pointing out Moby's health and longetivity had little impact on them. I cannot figure out what set them off. Don't they have more important animal rights causes to pursue?

Librarian at 9:43pm June 3
Hardingfele: They told us they had an appropriate "rescue home" standing by. One with a larger tank, more fish toys and "companion fish." I had no idea before this that there where rescue homes for goldfish.

Friend #5 at 9:45pm June 3
Oh, for crying out loud! Goldfish rescue?? Some people just ain't got enough to do.

Hardingfele at 8:29am June 4
OMG. This deserves to be spread thru the blogosphere. I will do my part. What ridiculous people. Probably the same people who release white mice from labs onto the street where they are promptly hit by cars and eaten by owls and cats.

**********************************************

Famous Hat here again, doing her part to spread the word through the blogosphere. So a word of warning to those of you with companion fish: there are people out there waiting to seize your beloved pets and take them to "rescue homes" with better toys and more fish. So don't walk - run to the nearest pet store and buy your friend some fish toys and a buddy. That may not shut them up, but at least they would have to think of new lame reasons to take your fish away.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Olivia said...

And you put that teeny bowl on there. You are so gonna get hit, man! I think the requirements are something like a 10 gallon tank. Now try to run this by your boss.

Famous Hat said...

My fish are bonsai fish. I am keeping them small on purpose, just like a bonsai tree. Besides, I have never heard them complain that they don't have enough space. Their main complaint is that I don't feed them enough, i.e., constantly.