Thursday, June 25, 2009

True Adventure: Outdoor Concert

Eusebius and I have been practically inseparable the last few weeks, but we had a rough night last night and need to spend a little time apart. It was because of the Outdoor Concert.

Eusebius is my bike. Years ago I had a blue ten-speed I called Boethius after reading The Consolation of Philosophy in college. In my mind, biking was where destiny met free will! Then I upgraded to a silver hybrid and thought of calling it Boethius II but decided instead to give it its own identity as Eusebius.

So last night Eusebius and I went up to the the Outdoor Concert, where we met Rich and some other people to eat food and play card games as music played in the background. (The people who are really there for the music sit close to the orchestra.) Then we headed home, hoping to beat the darkness, since I cannot find the light for Eusebius. Everything was going very smoothly until about half a mile away from my house, when I suddenly heard Eusebius go pfffft fup fup fup. A flat tire, and I didn't have a patch kit or spare inner tube with me! (Of course, it was so dark that patching or changing the tube would have been quite a challenge.) So Eusebius and I walked home... where I discovered that I had painful heat rash all over my midriff. Probably from biking during the heat advisories these last few days, against everyone else's advice. So Eusebius and I are spending some time apart, which means that this morning I had to get going in time to catch the bus. OK, what it really meant is that I missed the bus and had to take the later one in to work.

Not to worry, soon Eusebius and I will be together again. We just need our space right now.

Famous Hat

No comments: