Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Loser Blog

Today I read an article about how the blogosphere is just like high school: some blogs are popular, and others are not. It claimed you may have a “loser blog” if nobody responds to your posts. I hadn’t really thought of my blog as a “loser blog” with no friends; it always seemed more like the kid in high school who had a small but tight-knit group of friends. However, “Loser Blog” does kind of have a catchy ring to it, so I wish I’d thought of it back when I was naming my blog. Anyway, do blogs really need self-esteem issues? People do comment on my blog now and then, and some of you assure me that you read it regularly and just don’t comment because you don’t have a Google identity. This would be the ideal time to get one so you could write some kind of comment on this post. Here are some ideas for you:

“Loser!”
“Famous Hat = Loser Blog”
“This blog is a looooooooooser!”

Or, you could not write a comment and – according to the people writing the article – that would accomplish the same thing. Then again, I am always a bit leery to take advice from people who write blogs that are referred to as “snarky” by a mainstream website. What would GenericNews.com know about “snarky”? Can they even define the word? (Snarky: like or pertaining to a snark. Which is a big, mean fish that swims in the snee.) Is there some International Snark Standard against which all blogs are measured for levels of snarkiness? And what does it mean if your blog goes off the snarkometer? Or if you guarantee a snark-free blog? Which one would result in greater virtual popularity?

Self-proclaimed arbiters of snarkiness make me think of self-proclaimed geniuses (genii?), which reminds me that I may have to rethink my stand on Mensa. Friday night Mamastep and I were smoking a hookah at the Mideastern restaurant in the ‘hood when she told me that she’s a member, and that they regularly booze it up at their meetings. So I had it all wrong: being a member of Mensa isn’t an excuse to look down on those with inferior intellects; it is just another excuse to get hammered. I said in that case I totally endorse membership in Mensa.

Famous "Loser" Hat

No comments: