Wednesday, June 2, 2010

When a Loved One Dies

Yesterday my computer got a virus somehow. (I'm not saying it was the "Online Buddies" email that Jilly Moose sent me, but just remember that cute pictures of puppies and bunnies can be full of dread disease.) Since in my fantasy life I must be some kind of IT guru, I decided to try to fix it myself instead of calling IT immediately. Whether that made things worse or not, I can't say; all I know is last night I left it running a scan, then this morning I cleaned up the bad files and rebooted. (I downloaded some freeware from the internet because my standard issue virus protection could sense the virus but couldn't get at it, so it bombarded me with messages every second that it had tried and failed to erase the threat.)

The computer was a little wiggy after the infection, but after the "cure" it was far worse and just kept getting hung up. Finally I contacted IT, and they tried to fix it remotely but couldn't, so they advised me to turn the computer off. Which I did, after holding the button in, since it wouldn't turn off on its own. An IT dude came up to see my computer, and he turned it on but only got the Blue Screen of Death, so he unplugged it and took it away. I wasn't sure what to do at that moment - all the bosses are out of town, and Light Bright suggested I just go home, which was very tempting - but after doing all my non-computer tasks (e.g., filing - always a good time) I decided to move into the Bat Cave, a tiny room with ancient computers in it for the student hourlies. Luckily the students are all gone for the summer, so I was able to get a lot done in the Bat Cave. But I did miss my window, and the computers in the Bat Cave are glacially slow. Hopefully tomorrow I can return to my rightful office...

Famous Hat

No comments: