Monday, September 20, 2010

Do Not Eat This Apple

Sorry for the lack of blogging this weekend, but I really do have a good excuse this time, and this is it: Rich gave Aquinas some apple juice to drink. As you may remember, Aquinas is a MacBook Pro, and what better way to fry an Apple than with apple juice, right? The exquisite irony of it almost makes up for the fact that I could not blog about it until I got back to work, and a working computer.

Here, in Rich’s own words (and a vaguely apple juice-colored font), are what happened next in this ongoing sad saga:

“I stopped by DoIT this AM with my tale of woe. The guy behind the desk immediately spotted the irony of having spilled *Apple* juice into my computer.

He is and they are assuming that my power management circuit on the logic board is fried, and that there is nothing they can do. He also indicated that there are moisture sensors in the Mac which, if tripped, automatically void the warranty.

He thinks that I would have to send it in to Apple for repair at my own expense (which would preserve the rest of the warranty), but that it would probably cost over $1000.00.

Well, at this point, I think I am going to open the thing up and try cleaning and desiccating the thing myself. At this point, there is little to lose by trying.

I guess I know what I am probably doing later tonight!”


I offered Rich a hair dryer and any Do Not Eat he needed, but so far he has not responded. Being a female, of course I own several hair dryers (although I actually only own one head), and I have a habit of saving the desiccant from bottles of vitamin pills, etc. In grad school I had a roommate from Indonesia who called the desiccant Do Not Eat, which is of course how it is always prominently labeled, and so I got into the habit myself. I even have a very big packet of Do Not Eat that I found on the floor here at work, not that I was likely to eat a random packet of stuff lying around on the floor. It always struck me as funny that the desiccant in packages containing electronics is also labeled “Do Not Eat,” since what sane person would expect to find something edible in a box of electronics? “Bonus – they sent me some sugar with my new computer!”

Hopefully Rich does not need to get a new computer! Remember, Rich, if you need it, I do have this 2” square packet of Do Not Eat that is just sitting around drying the air in my desk drawer at work.

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Famous Hat said...

Update from Rich:

I stopped by the hardware store on the way to Mass yesterday
afternoon. While I was there,
I asked if they had any silica gel. He said, "Oh, you want 'do not eat!'" :‑))
(They didn't have any.)

WV: roompear - two recognizable words that make no sense together