Monday, March 28, 2011

The Coffee Resolution

I have never been a big one for making New Year’s resolutions, but some people just love making them… and then breaking them. This may seem like an odd time to blog about this particular topic, but I had to wait and see how things turned out before I shared the story, right? And here it is:

My office mate Light Bright decided to make her New Year’s resolution that she would stop drinking coffee. Now I have heard of people giving up coffee for Lent, but aren’t New Year’s resolutions reserved for changes that you want to make permanent? And why would anyone give up coffee forever? Not only does it taste great and keep you awake, it also prevents strokes, according to a new Swedish study. So I asked Light Bright why she wanted to give up coffee forever, but she didn’t have an answer other than that it was something to give up.

So… within a week or two, Light Bright was drinking tea for caffeine, and soon she was caving and having a cup of decaffeinated coffee “for the flavor.” I asked what she was gaining by giving up coffee and then drinking decaf and tea, since it wasn’t the flavor of coffee and it wasn’t the caffeine either. She thought about that… and by February she was back to drinking coffee.

That is the end of the story, but I do have to mention that when I was editing some dictation she had typed up, I was amused to see we were inviting a guest speaker from Mount Cyanide Medical Center in New York. Is that where the pro-euthanasia doctors work? This doctor was going to give a talk attended by “physicians, fellows, and residence.” So the House that they always refer to in Vegas – does it enjoy attending medical talks? Interestingly, Light Bright hails from Las Vegas. Coincidence???

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Hardingfele and Plysj said...

Light Bright is so entertaining and funny. I wish I had an office mate like that. As it stands, I dont get anything except extra work out of mine