Saturday, April 30, 2011

Montauk Point

The tale behind this song starts many years ago when I was a mere girl, and my mother used to ground me from listening to the radio as punishment for my various misbehaviors.  I did not yet own any records or cassettes (remember those?) of my own, so I was forced to listen to my parents' collection.  One was a 78 of people singing the Lord's Prayer, with a father and his little daughter discussing what it meant.  When I played it at 45, suddenly their innocent dialogue seemed to acquire a new meaning as the little girl became a bored whore and her father became her DADDY. Sometime later, when hip hop and techno arrived on the scene, I dreamed of sampling that 78 played at 45, but who knows where it is now? So I used Garage Band to reproduce their dialogue:  "Are they gonna sing now, Daddy?" "Yes, Darling!" "That would be wonderful, Daddy!" "Yes, Darling!"  I created the animation in Xtranormal; thanks to Richard Bonomo for that excellent suggestion!

One summer Tiffy and I drove to Long Island to visit my uncle, and we took a day trip out to Montauk Point because Tiffy said, "We can visit the World Trade Center next time we're here."  This was in 1999, and we didn't visit within the next two years.  Still, driving down the Nawth Fawk (which is how they saw "North Fork," the bad word is pronounced "fwuk") was a lot of fun, and we went winery hopping on the way to Montauk. The trip inspired me to come up with a short ditty about Montauk in the style of the Andrews Sisters; the tune may not be original, but nobody can tell me exactly what it is.  The words are all mine.  

And a big shout-out to Kathbert for pointing out that "joint" would rhyme with "point," and for being willing to be a lighthouse!




Famous Hat

No comments: