Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Department of Horticultural Affairs


Toque McToque and I have noticed that there seems to be a conspiracy among flower producers to make us buy more plants. I noticed this when doing an online search on the care of Gerbera daisies and could find nothing about what to do with them in the winter, unless I happened to live in Zone 9-11, where they can survive over the winter. (I happen to live in Zone 4.) Do Gerbera daisies go dormant for the winter, like calla lilies? Or do they just keep growing like the average houseplant? You would not think this would be a state secret, but all the websites seemed to be in agreement that Gerbera daisies should be discarded at the end of the season. Why throw away a perfectly good plant?? These same people must be the ones who perpetuate the myth that poinsettias are nearly impossible to get to rebloom, so you might as well buy a new one every year. Both Rich and Kathbert have gotten poinsettias to rebloom without too much effort, so the implication is that this story was fabricated to sell more poinsettias. Toque said there should be a regulatory agency to oversee such matters, and I suggested naming it the Department of Horticultural Affairs. An emblem for this agency will be forthcoming.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

I think they are annuals, so you collect the seeds and replant for next year. I thought USDA has various extension type agencies that give plant advice. Sorry, I think they beat you to do

Famous Hat said...

I don't think I will get any seeds, since there are no insects in my office to pollinate my daisy.