Monday, July 22, 2013

Maxwell Street Days and Renaissance Faire

How was everyone’s weekend? Friday Travalon and I went to Old Sugar Distillery, then we went to Jamerica for dinner, then we stopped into the Harmony Bar (which has delicious-looking pizza but we had already eaten), and we ended the evening by going to see local band Oudist Colony at Bandung’s Nutty Bar. I used to be in a group with several of these people, and last I knew the singer and oud player were involved with other people, but he (oudist) proposed to her (singer) right at the end of the show. I’m not sure any of them recognized me, and I was too distracted by the whole drama to notice my coworker’s daughter’s paintings on display.

Saturday I met several people for coffee, then Jilly Moose and I hit Maxwell Street Days, where I picked up some more aloha shirts, and then we prayed the rosary. We figure, even if there are only two Rosary Ladies present, it is still a Rosary Ladies event. Catzooks and her guy brought dessert over to Rich’s that evening, and Kathbert, Luxuli and her husband, my OTHER choir director, Rich’s next door neighbor, and Jilly Moose were all there to enjoy Belgian waffles with strawberries and blueberries, as well as less healthy options like frosted cookies.

Sunday I had to get up early to drive to Mamastep’s house, then we picked up Travalon and met Tiffy at the Bristol Renaissance Faire. Lots of imaginative costumes – it was Steampunk Weekend so there were plenty of interesting takes on Victorian fashion as well as Renaissance looks – and Travalon pointed out a guy who looked just like Elton John, only decades younger. He also saw a guy who looked like Gene Simmons. We watched jousting and belly dancing, and Travalon tried his hand at throwing tomatoes at the insult guy and smashing plates with a softball. He won a plastic dragonfly for me; he was trying for the stuffed unicorn, but you had to smash four plates for that. Then he and I had our caricatures drawn. Mine made me realize just how much weight I need to lose! I will try to somehow post it. Mamastep was searching for a very particular bodice, but she was unsuccessful in her quest and said she will just have to make it herself. Wish I were that handy with a sewing machine!

Famous Hat

3 comments:

Travalon said...

The Ded Bob comedy show featuring a ventriloquist with a very sarcastic skeleton at the Faire was very funny. There are shows for ages 13+ and 17+.
The food choices at the stands are also intriguing, Spanish fries( which I must try next time)fish and chips wrapped in an English newspaper, $1 ice cold sasparilla, Cornish pasties, and deep fried mac and cheese. I bought some white and dark chocolate English toffee from a candy shop which boasts being the confectionairre to the Queen of England,

Hardingfele said...

Hey who did your caricatures, was it my neighbor Bernie Tennis? He is awesome!

Famous Hat said...

No, it was a young woman.