Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Senile Rabbit

Charlie is really getting to be an old rabbit. I’m convinced that he is totally deaf: during that crazy storm last night with all the thunder and lightning, Cashmere was huddled in terror but Charlie was completely indifferent. He is so old that he can’t tell the difference between a treat and my foot anymore – I am expecting him to bite off my toe any day now. He no longer knows or cares about the difference between the carpet and the litter box. Sometimes he gets so confused that he just turns in circles. If Charlie could talk, I’ll bet he would be telling the same story over and over, and he’d probably call me by the wrong name all the time. He always seems happy to see me, but I’m not completely sure that he knows who I am (the big creature who gives out treats). I am just… someone, and that’s good enough for Charlie the Senile Bunny.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

I think somewhere in his bunny head, he knows that you love him and whatever time he has left, he is spending it in a nice place with good furry and human buddies. Remember Pumpkin, she was mischievous til the end

Famous Hat said...

It's so hard to say how much time Charlie has left. He seemed to be dying almost exactly a year ago but is still going strong. This morning he seemed very peppy.