Monday, June 16, 2014

Baseball Weekend


First, to my fellow UGGHers, I apologize: it has been so wonderful getting up at a reasonable hour and then having a leisurely breakfast with my new husband and Callie the Cat. I will try to make it to UGGH Club sometime this week…

Secondly, I seem to have gained a follower during my sojourn in Ireland and Scotland, so welcome! I will warn you, this blog is now going to be about my day-to-day life and random musings.

The weather was beautiful on Friday, so Travalon, OK Cap, and I went to our first Mallards game this season. The Mallards came through, beating the Rafters (their logo is a rat on a raft) 4-2. I had a vegan burger with cheese curds, so half healthy, and of course a giant pretzel. Never go to the ballpark if you are on a diet, which I currently am not, I’m just trying to eat sensibly. Of course, Friday night took care of all that…

Saturday the weather was again beautiful, so after getting some coffee at the Prairie CafĂ©, Travalon and I went for a hike with Richard Bonomo and Catzookz at Indian Lake Park. We all hiked up to the shrine on top of the hill, then Rich and Catzookz went off to hike the harder trails while Travalon and I took a leisurely stroll around the lake with Rodney the Poodle. And what better way to spend a lovely evening than at another Mallards game? They were having “St. Patty’s Day in Summer” with the band The Kissers playing traditional Irish music between innings and then fireworks after the game. I saw people with green beer, but we didn’t get any. Travalon got a really good beer from Hawaii – who knew that was a hotbed of beer brewing? I believe it was called Kona, like the coffee. Again the Mallards came through, beating the Woodchucks 5-2.

Yesterday after brunch, Travalon headed out to watch more minor league baseball while I picked up Hardingfele for our wedding gig. We drove with most of the rest of the band to Lake Mills and played a wedding reception at Korth Park, on the shores of Rock Lake. It was a lovely venue, but we were a little concerned that it might rain. The weather was iffy, but we never did get the promised (threatened?) rain. We played for the wedding reception dance, and the attendees were really getting into it but lost interest after a few dances and drifted off for the most part, so we didn’t end up playing nearly as long as we’d expected. Then I headed home and hung out with Miss Callie, who has really bonded with me, until Travalon returned from fishing. He and I went to the Nau-Ti-Gal for our healthiest meal of the weekend: broiled fish and vegetables! We love going there, sitting out on their patio overlooking the water. But tonight I’ll have to pick up my cooking implements from the old condo so we can start eating at home. 

Famous Hat

No comments: