Monday, June 30, 2014

Fireworks and Plant Moving


They say it takes two to tango, and Friday evening I witnessed this firsthand, going to a night of tango dancing with Handy Woman. I was not there to dance but to hear the live music, and watching the dancers, I realized there was no way I could fake my way through a tango. It looks too complex and beautiful. The music was lovely, just a guitar and flute. Handy Woman had said she and I could start playing tango music, her on the guitar and me on the violin, but after listening to this group (called Folia), she decided her guitar skills are not up to tango music. Truthfully, my violin skills may not be either…

Saturday I spent a good deal of the day sorting paperwork and clothing at my old condo. Travalon and I took down a number of bags of paper for recycling, and I filled two bags with clothes for giving away. Now I am down to a reasonable number of clothes, since I finally gave away everything that does not fit and threw away everything that is really too ratty to wear. Believe me, it was hard – I get emotionally attached to my favorite clothes! I don’t actually have that many left, so maybe this is a good excuse to go shopping, if I ever have a spare moment from readying the old condo for sale.

In the evening Jilly Moose, Richard Bonomo, Travalon, and I went to Luxuli and Prairie Man’s condo to watch Rhythm ‘n’ Booms, which this year was downtown. (Ironically for Travalon and me, we just moved within walking distance of the park where they always had it in the past.) We had a perfect view from their balcony, and the fireworks did not disappoint, with cool shapes like waterfalls, smiley faces, spirals, and stars. The music was a weird amalgamation of film scores and pop songs that mention the USA, but the fireworks did coordinate with it really well. Today at work we were all talking about how great the fireworks were, and all the cool places we got to watch them from. My dream is to watch them from a boat someday, but so far I haven’t managed that one yet.

Yesterday Botanist 53 gave me her ponytail palm, which is nearly as old as I am, and nearly as tall. My other plants are at my old condo hanging out on the balcony or in Plant World, where they seem very happy, so we haven’t moved them yet. But I didn’t want the ponytail palm to be lonely in our new condo, so I decided to bring over one of my big plants from Rich’s house. After a lovely hike at Devil’s Lake with Rodney, Travalon and I went to Rich’s house and tried to take Jolly Bob out to the car, but it has become so enormous that we aren’t entirely sure how to move it. We ended up moving Dr. Cheung, which isn’t as large and unwieldy but is very heavy, so Travalon had to carry it for me. Jolly Bob actually has a wheeled pot, so in theory it should be easier to move, except of course up the stairs. In practice, because it is so sprawling, it is going to be quite a challenge to move. Maybe I will need to borrow the pickup from Community Car to move it...

Famous Hat 

No comments: