Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Municipal Court


One thing that made me very happy when I returned to work was seeing that my black calla lily had not finished blooming during my sojourn in Ireland; in fact, it currently has four blooms on it. Miss Heartsong and Kathbert also have several blooms on their black calla lilies right now, but Handy Woman planted hers outside and says it is already done blooming. I wonder why – does being outside speed up the blooming process for calla lilies?

This morning I had to go to municipal court because of that speeding ticket I got over a month ago. (Technically I did not have to go and could have just paid my fine, but I heard they will reduce your points and fine just for showing up.) Travalon came with me for moral support, and we hurried to get there at 8:30, the time listed for my hearing, only to discover that the cases are heard in the order in which people arrived. We had to go through a metal detector and have our bags searched, then we were told to sit in court. I thought it would be like TV, and each person would have to stand up and clearly speak so everyone could hear, but it was more like confession: each person spoke quietly to the judge as the rest of us waited our turn. Then the judge would hand out a fine instead of, say, three Hail Marys. That was if you pled guilty; if you pled innocent, you had to go sit on the other side of the court and wait. I pled guilty and explained this was my first offense, and the judge reduced my points and my fine, so it wasn’t a very painful experience at all. They even let me pay my fine by credit card. Anyway, I have learned my lesson and will go the speed limit from now on rather than the speed of the flow of traffic.

Famous Hat

No comments: