Friday, December 5, 2014

Cashmere's Birthday Poem


Yesterday Travalon received a lovely birthday card in the mail from Ma and Pa Hat. It said they were glad Rodney threw him such a nice birthday party. Neither Travalon nor I was aware the dog was throwing birthday parties for us now, so we assume they meant Rich instead of Rodney. Anyway, it seems blogworthy.

A week ago my little bitchkin (as Hardingfele calls her) rabbit Cashmere turned nine. Age has mellowed her out a little, but she still refuses my affection most of the time, although last night I did manage to sneak up on her and grab her, so she was forced to cuddle with me. Most of the time when she sees me approaching, she runs behind her cage where I can’t reach her. As my regular readers no doubt remember, my boy bunny Charlie reached the ripe old age of nine and one half years, so I may have six more months to try to force Cashmere to love me. The only time she ever came close was at the vet’s office, when she wanted to be with me so badly that when I set her down, she leapt back into my arms - twice! Of course, being a female, Cashmere may outlive Charlie by many months, or even years. I’m not quite sure how to feel about that. Who wants a creature living in her house who despises her? You can no doubt sense my fondness for Cashmere, as evidenced by the fact that I completely forgot her birthday last Friday. Here is a little poem to make up for that oversight.

Happy birthday to my favorite bunny
Who happens to still be alive.
You can be a real honey
When you want a treat, or maybe five.
You are always happy to see me
When I have a banana to share.
Other times, not so much,
And when we’re cleaning your cage, beware!
It seems like only yesterday
You were a young rabbit, leaping about,
But now, after countless bales of hay,
You’re slower but just as much of a lout.
Perhaps I’ll never win your affection,
But you were good to Charlie when he was around,
And if I ever pass your inspection,
Cuddling you is where I’ll be found.

Famous Hat

No comments: