Friday, April 8, 2016

Unexpected Carillon Concert


Today is shaping up to be a very musical day for me. Cecil Markovitch and I are going to hear Handel’s Messiah tonight, which was always on the docket, but this afternoon I got to hear some unexpected music. I was invited to attend a meeting on campus, and from the building we were sitting in, we could hear the sweet tones of the campus carillon. I love the carillon, which is not only very aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, being a sort of Gothic-style bell tower, but also sounds wonderful. It played for a good quarter hour at least, and I couldn’t make out any of the particular tunes, but it was such a delightful sound. Afterwards I asked the other attendees at the meeting if the carillon always plays during the monthly meetings, and they hadn’t even noticed it. Maybe that is part of my distractibility this week – I can’t focus on the meeting any more than on the distant music of a bell tower. And, believe it or not, it was a very interesting meeting, discussing upcoming books that will be published. I wanted to read them all after hearing about them, but honestly, it has been a few years since I sat and read a book from start to finish. Yet another thing I cannot focus long enough to do!

Famous Hat

No comments: