Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Mirror Lake and Lake Geneva


Sorry for my silence lately - I have been very busy. Friday evening Tiffy and I joined Rich, the Dairyman's Daughter, and some others at American Players Theater to watch An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde. Tiffy and I got there a little early, so we went to the Nature Conservancy land covered by cacti and saw they are about to bloom. Anyone want to go out there this week and see them? The play was very funny.

Saturday Travalon and I met a bunch of people for coffee, including Anna Banana II, who is back in town. We saw a bunch of people riding their bikes in the nude up and down State Street, then Anna Banana II, OK Cap, Travalon, and I went to Pasqual's on East Washington for lunch, and we saw the nude bikers go by again. There's no escaping them! I had a gig at a Norwegian picnic in a beautiful location, with water on two sides. They built a May pole, and we played as they danced around it. Then Tiffy and I went back to American Players Theater to see Death of a Salesman, since it had been rained out the week before. The play was very depressing, and Tiffy and I both wondered why anyone would bother writing something so depressing. What's the point?

Sunday Travalon and I went to Mirror Lake State Park in the Dells, where we went hiking with Rodney. There are a lot of very beautiful trails there, and there is also the Ishnala Supper Club, which for some reason blasts standards in their parking lot so that you can hear Frank Sinatra from half the park. Now I like Ol' Blue Eyes as well as anyone, but it still seems weird to hear him when you are out hiking in nature. Travalon and I went to a place called the Thirsty Moose for dinner, where we sat out by the lake and waited for an hour for our food. They gave us tokens for free beer because we had to wait so long.

Yesterday the Rosary Ladies piled into Chartreuse Bruce, and we drove to Lake Geneva and walked along the lakeshore path, admiring the large houses. We had lunch at a place called Egg Harbor which seems to have no connection to the town in Door County; it simply serves dishes made with eggs. When we got back to town, we went to dinner at the Nau-Ti-Gal, and Travalon and Prairie Man joined us. Then we all watched the sun set from our dock, and so the longest day of the year ended.

Today Travalon and I went for a boat ride before my gig for Make Music Madison. We played to a small but very generous audience and made over $10 apiece in tips. In the evening Anna Banana II had some of us out to her cottage on Lake Ripley, and Rodney was a big hit with the little kids that were out there. It has been a wonderful, relaxing staycation so far - and Spellcheck recognizes the word "staycation," which is kind of blowing my mind. I guess that means it's time to get to bed.

Famous Hat

No comments: