Friday, April 28, 2017

Bucks Playoff Game


Sorry that I haven’t posted in a few days. Wednesday I was at an all-day conference that was very interesting; I went to sessions on bystander training for bad situations, nonverbal communication, and writing better emails. There isn’t much parking at the conference site, so I parked at work and walked over – usually an easy walk of about a mile and a half, but as I was walking it poured on me, and I was absolutely soaked. My shoes and socks were still wet twelve hours later when I got home from band practice! The wrap-up session got done early, and it hardly seemed worth going back to work for half an hour, so I went to the Arboretum to enjoy the blooming crabapple trees before band practice. Tiffy had wanted to stop by the Arboretum on Sunday, and the crabapples weren’t open yet, but that day we enjoyed the magnolias. We couldn’t find the one that smells like a cinnamon red-hot, which I have smelled in previous years, but we did find one I hadn’t noticed before that smells just like a birthday cake. Most of them smell vaguely lemony.

Yesterday I left work early so that Travalon and I could go to Milwaukee for the Bucks playoff game. It was the sixth in the series against Toronto, and they were down a game, so they had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. I wore the Greek Freak jersey Travalon had won, and almost everyone else wore one too. Now I can see why – the Greek Freak was by far the best player on the team. He has a very long Greek (or maybe Nigerian) name, Giannis Antetokounmpo, which I have no idea how to pronounce. The rest of the team weren’t doing too much, so they were down by 20 points, and I thought the game was over. However, in the second half they went on a monster run and were actually up by two points with just a few minutes left in the game. Ultimately they lost by three, but the game was still a ton of fun. We all got towels to wave every time the Bucks made a basket or did something amazing defensively, and the halftime show was a lady called the Red Panda who rode a tall unicycle and kept tossing bowls on her head until she was balancing a tall stack of them. Coolest of all, a giant inflatable deer came out after her show and floated around the arena for the rest of halftime. I can imagine what a person from a hundred years ago would think if they saw such a thing! Basketball games are crazy; the Badgers always have random stuff going on too. Still, it’s really about the game, and that was very exciting. Maybe next year the Bucks will do even better!

Famous Hat

1 comment:

Travalon said...

It was nice to take you to your first Bucks game, I've been going for over 30 years now, seen a lot of changes and ups and downs with the team. Bronson Koenig would be a great addition for them, because they really need a quick, consistent shooter. Their future looks bright if they keep the Greek Freak around awhile and Kidd coaches them. They're a work in progress, a talented young team just missing a few pieces.