Monday, April 10, 2017

Ferry Bluff, Cactus Hike, and the Hop Garden


I hope my readers got outside this weekend to enjoy the beautiful weather! Travalon and I sure did. Friday evening we went to the beautiful Lakeside Café to listen to the Madison Classical Guitar Society again, and we ran into Pete the Sailor Man there. The brother-in-law of the Daughter of Denni was playing again, and he is our favorite because he does lots of flamenco. A guy I know from early music circles came and played his lute, and after he played, half the audience left. They must have been there for the lute music, not the guitar music.

Saturday the East Side Club was having a pre-Easter brunch, so Travalon and I met Jilly Moose, Luxuli, and OK Cap there, then he went antiquing and we ladies went to Olbrich Gardens, where we were joined by Cali. It was such a beautiful day! Travalon did join us again, by the Thai Pavilion. Then he and I went for a long hike by the northern part of the Yahara River. It was so warm that we stripped down to T-shirts! Mine had the name of a German language journal on it, which is kind of random but at least not offensive. I personally have never read this journal, but we publish it where I work, and at one point the editor had T-shirts made, so I got one. So I was kind of doing marketing for my job, if anyone who walked by us even noticed.

Yesterday Travalon and I went hiking again. We had a quick brunch at the Crema Café, then we drove down Highway 60, a gorgeous ride, and hiked up Ferry Bluff. We went for a hike on the Nature Conservancy land covered with cacti out by Spring Green, and then we went to the Hop Garden in Paoli and sat outside enjoying shandy made with their potent beer and a locally made kombucha, while listening to a guy play the guitar and sing. Musicians often notice me in the audience – I suppose being a fellow musician makes me particularly attentive – but this is the first time I’ve ever had a performer ask to take a selfie with me because I’m such a great audience member! This guy wanted one with both Travalon and me, and then he gave us stickers. They advertise him – again with the free advertising! He said they are “bumper sticker quality,” but I have never put a bumper sticker on my car. I do not want people to know my clever opinions without my getting a chance to ask them theirs. I am a big believer in the equal exchange of information. Don’t be like Cali, who asked how old I was, and then after I told her, she wouldn’t tell me her age. That is just unfair.

Famous Hat

No comments: