Thursday, April 6, 2017

Meyer Lemon


Sorry that I haven’t posted for several days. There hasn’t really been that much to say. Tuesday evening Travalon and I went to Liliana’s for their special pretzel dinner, which was delicious: a soft pretzel with sriracha cheese sauce for an appetizer, pretzel-encrusted catfish for the main course, and we split a piece of pretzel bread pudding for dessert. I have been practicing the bouzouki every evening now that it is fixed up by watching a video of rebetiko music over and over while trying to play along. Happily, I am making some progress, and it’s only been a few days. Today I had an interesting adventure: I like to buy bags of “imperfect” produce at the co-op, which is fun because not only are they cheap, but you get an interesting variety of fruit in the bags. This morning I grabbed what I thought was a light-colored orange from one of the bags, and at lunch I peeled it and ate a section, but it was really, really tart. I looked at the label, and it said: “Meyer lemon.” I had no idea such a thing existed until then! At that point I had already peeled it, so I had to eat it. They are a cross between a lemon and some sort of tangerine, so it wasn’t completely inedible, but was it a challenge to eat the whole thing! On the other hand, according to my diet app, instead of the 70 calories I was budgeting for a tangelo, this thing was only 25 calories. It probably would have been fine in a fruit salad, but I don’t recommend just sitting down and eating one. At least I probably got my Vitamin C for the day…

Famous Hat

No comments: