Friday, June 30, 2017

Boogie Men on the Monona Terrace Rooftop


Last night I met the Rosary Ladies for dinner, then Jilly Moose and I went to the rooftop of the Monona Terrace to hear a band called the Boogie Men. They were a lot of fun, wearing big black wigs and crazy outfits like bell bottom pants and three-inch silver platform boots. The music they played was all stuff I love, mostly 70’s disco and funk like KC and the Sunshine Band, the Bee Gees, and Earth, Wind, and Fire, but they did play some recent funk hits too. They even did a Michael Jackson medley. Is there any purer joy than singing and dancing along to music you have known and loved most of your life? And to get to do it in the fresh air, overlooking a lake – how does it get any better? I’ll tell you how – this whole thing was FREE! Luxuli showed up with another woman later in the evening, and we all danced together. When the last song was "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge, we really sang the line about, "I got all my sisters with me!" to each other with great gusto. Afterwards one of the musicians came over and talked to us. He has a day job in Milwaukee – he said, “It’s going to be a very long Friday!” The organizers said they were collecting donations, and I wanted to give a couple bucks, but by the time we got down from the roof, the woman collecting donations was about to get into an elevator, so I had to run after her. What an excellent night!

Famous Hat

No comments: