Monday, July 3, 2017

Trip to Rib Mountain and Roche-a-Cri


I hope my readers had a good weekend. Mine was pretty great because Anna Banana II is back in town for a visit. Friday Travalon and I went to Nonno’s Italian Restaurant to meet the Rosary Ladies, Rich, and the Dairyman’s Daughter for dinner. She had just come from a camping trip with her cousin and cousin’s daughters in northern Minnesota, and she said they went on a marsh tour that was really cool. They saw lots of lady’s slippers and other beautiful flowers. I am a little jealous, since I grew up in Minnesota and always heard about the showy lady’s slipper as the state flower, but I have never seen one. Maybe someday…

Saturday a bunch of us went on a trip to Rib Mountain: the Rosary Ladies, Travalon, Rich, Cecil Markovitch, and the Single B-Boy. We stopped for coffee before leaving town and then got caught in the traffic on the interstate. By the time we got to Rib Mountain (after a stop for lunch), it was around two. Tiffy called to say she was driving through Wausau on the way to her parents’ house, but she didn’t have a state park sticker, so she couldn’t stop by to say hi. We hiked on the top of the mountain, and some people went up the observatory tower. Travalon suggested we go to Roche-a-Cri State Park after that, and some of us (the guys, Jilly Moose, and I) went all the way up the rock. For some reason I thought it was 26 flights of stairs to get up there, but according to my phone it was 20. From the top we had a fantastic view of other unusual rock formations all over Adams County. The B-Boy found a supper club on Castle Rock Lake that wasn’t too far away, so we went there for a wonderful dinner, and afterwards the guys and I watched fireworks across the lake. Cecil said it was a wonderful evening, and when I said, “Wasn’t the whole day wonderful?” it turned out he wasn’t too impressed with Rib Mountain. Oh well, Travalon and I still love it there.

Yesterday after Mass Travalon and I went to brunch with Anna Banana II, then we met Hockey Girl at Tenney Park, and she and I took a rosary walk while Travalon fished. The three of us went to a bluegrass festival at the High Noon Saloon, featuring acts with wonderful names like Milkhouse Radio and Sortin’ the Mail, and they were just as good as those names promised. Travalon and I had a quiet evening at home, but we kept hearing fireworks, so we went outside and were treated to practically a personal show from some house across the river. Then we went out onto our dock and saw what we suspect were the Westport fireworks, but the bugs were eating us alive so that was less fun. Anyway, I can’t say I haven’t seen fireworks this year!

Famous Hat

No comments: