Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Beautiful Weekend for the Winter


I hope my readers had a good weekend. Sorry that I didn’t write about this yesterday, but I was at a birthday party for my old buddy Mamastep. Friday Travalon and I cleaned for almost an hour before we went to a new (to us) place for brunch, Lazy Janes – and it was wonderful! It was beautiful out, so we took a walk on the long boardwalk in McFarland, and then we went out to Sauk to see eagles. Once again we were successful in this endeavor. We had a bowl of lobster bisque at the Blue Spoon Diner overlooking the river, but we didn’t see any eagles from there. In the evening Tiffy, Hockey Girl, and I went to a chardonnay wine tasting, and we were not nearly as good at picking out the flavors the experts said were there as we had been with the champagnes. To me, they mostly tasted like unripe pineapple. I guess I am not a chardonnay person…

Saturday Travalon and I met Tiffy and Rich for coffee, then Tiffy, Travalon, and I met Tiffy’s sister and niece for brunch at Bonfyre Grill, and then the three of us went for the same walk on the McFarland boardwalk, since it was almost 50 degrees out. So beautiful! In the evening Tiffy, Rich, and I had dinner at Mint Mark, a new restaurant on Winnebago, then we walked to the Chocolaterian for some dessert. We thought about going to the symphony, since Handy Woman said it was wonderful, but we ended up just talking. Travalon, meanwhile, was at a high school basketball tournament. He had a great time.

Sunday after Mass Travalon and I talked a bunch of the guys into going to brunch at the Peruvian restaurant on State Street, then he and I went – can you believe it? – back to Sauk to see eagles. And we did see eagles! So far we have been successful every time in 2018. We watched part of the Jacksonville/New England game at the new Vintage branch out in Sauk, then we went to the jazz jam at the Rigby. As we were walking back to the car, we passed a strange place that had no sign outside, just a menu posted, so we went in and it was enchanting. It’s called Natt Spil, and people tell me they are secretive on purpose. They aren’t even listed in the phone book. They have a pizza oven there, so we had a pizza, and they make a cocktail that contains green chartreuse, so of course I had to order that. We will definitely be back! That was a perfect way to top off the weekend.

Famous Hat

No comments: