Monday, January 15, 2018

Bucks Game and Lots of Eagle Watching


Sorry to have once again gone so long between blog posts. Tuesday I had some more birthday celebrations when Lute Player took me out for lunch and then Light Bright had me over for dinner. Her two-year-old son was crying because it has been winter for so long and he wants it to be summer again, and I think we can all relate to that! Then Thursday I went to a ukulele jam at the Lakeside Cafe that was more lightly attended than usual because of the lousy weather. However, there were lots of fun instruments at it, including a banjolele, a guitarlele, and a piccolo ukulele that was half the size of my instrument! I should have taken pictures...

Friday Travalon and I brought a cake to his mother for her 92nd birthday, then we played a round of Scrabble with her. We went to the Domes to get some steps, since it was bitterly cold outside, and the plants were very cool but I only got about a mile's worth of steps. I mentioned that in Minneapolis you can walk for miles downtown through the network of skyways, and we found that there are enough skyways in Milwaukee to get a few miles' worth of steps in. We ended up in the Grand Avenue Mall at one point, which is sadly mostly empty. We had an amazing dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery and then went to the Bucks game. They were playing the Golden State Warriors, so we figured they would lose, but at least we would get to see Steph Curry, maybe the greatest player of this generation, in person. He was injured, and then the Warriors beat the Bucks by quite a bit anyway, so that was a bummer. Still, it is always great to see the Greek Freak play.

Saturday Travalon got called into work unexpectedly, so I met Rich for coffee, and then we did half a workout. Once Travalon returned, we went to Sauk and saw two eagles sitting in a tree together, but there were so many people parked at the dam that we only got a glimpse of all the eagles feeding there. When we got back to town, we went to the Chocolaterian for treats and then went to the new place called Chicken Run for dinner. To our surprise, they gave us free deep-fried Oreos, which we didn't really need after our trip to the Chocolaterian, but we ate them. They were actually pretty tasty, like beignets with a melty Oreo in the center. We met Hockey Girl at the Lakeside to see an old school country band, and we played a round of Scrabble. I had nothing but vowels most of the game, so unsurprisingly I came in last. I also had a huge salad there to counteract all our unhealthy food earlier in the evening.

Sunday Cecil Markovitch, Travalon, and I walked down State Street in the bitter cold to go to brunch at Sun Porch, then Travalon and I went back to Sauk to see eagles. We saw some in the trees across the river from the VFW park, then we went to the dam and saw lots of them flying around and standing on the ice in the river. We went back to the Chocolaterian on the way back into town, and then in the evening we went to the North Street Cabaret to see a jazz festival. It was standing room only, and they had no food there, so we went across the street to the Tip Top Tavern for some dinner and then came back to hear the last act, a Latin jazz band called Mambo Blue. They were really good. By then it had cleared out enough for us to get a table up front, but we did dance for their last number.

Today I had the day off of work for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so Rich and I met for coffee, then we went to my adoration hour, and then we planned to go to the MLK Day festivities at the Capital. However, Rich got a frantic text from someone stranded by the sparse bus schedule today, so we went to pick her up, and by the time we got to the Capital there wasn't too much of the program left. We did hear a kid recite the "I Have a Dream" speech and some guys sing a rousing tune. Then we worked out and I went to Mass before coming home to spend a quiet evening with Travalon. And since I generally blog on Mondays, I am doing so now before the day is over.

Famous Hat

No comments: