Monday, August 19, 2019

Attacked by Creatures in the Water!



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Mine started on Friday evening, when Travalon and I went to the Monona Terrace to dance on the roof to a salsa band. Then we had a late fish dinner on the patio at Waypoint – walleye, yum! And I had a delicious sour cherry beer from Belgium.

Saturday morning Travalon and I did two of the three volunteer hours required by the gardens, then we drove to Palmyra to swim at their wonderful beach. While I was floating on the inflatable raft, a fish tried to pull my finger off, which was more shocking than painful. I screamed, and Travalon wondered what was wrong. After that I got off the raft and swam, figuring the fish could see I was bigger than they were if all of me was in the water, as opposed to a dangling digit they must have mistaken for a worm. I had thought Palmyra was the location of a rest stop I remembered on a fundraising bike tour I had been on two decades earlier, but it didn’t look anything like I remembered, so Travalon and I drove around to Waterville and Delafield trying to find this place. Finally we went to Oconomowoc to visit his mother, and it suddenly occurred to me that the lovely beach I remembered from that long-ago bike ride was probably the same one I was so familiar with from attending concerts with Travalon and his mother. We were unable to take his mother to the beach that evening, but we took her across the street in the skyway to go sit by the side of the lake. We saw a pontoon boat with a giant inflatable birthday cake on it. It was such a beautiful evening. When we got back to Madison, Travalon and I went to Africa Fest for a very late but tasty dinner of peanut chicken stew, and I bought a couple of pairs of earrings. Then we went to Mother Fool’s for a very late latte; I had a decaf one, but Travalon says he has no trouble sleeping after drinking coffee, so he had a full-strength mocha.

Yesterday I overslept and had no voice, so we went to Mass at Westport. Then we met Cali and Travalon’s old college buddy in Albany for cheeseburgers before tubing. The Center Tavern was full of people, which seemed odd considering how beautiful it was outside. Travalon said there was one woman who was there when we first got there, and as we were leaving town hours later, he saw her emerge from the tavern to smoke a cigarette. Imagine spending your whole beautiful Sunday afternoon in a pub! Cali and I decided to hike instead of tubing, partly to get some exercise and partly to leave the guys alone to reminisce, and we hiked for six miles on the verdant Sugar River Trail, praying the rosary in a mix of English and Spanish. Travalon and his buddy were tubing happily down the river when some other people asked his buddy if he wanted a beer. They tossed it to him but didn’t throw it quite far enough, so he dove off his tube to rescue it. He thought the river was only knee-deep, but it was over his head, and he is well over six feet tall! He did manage to rescue the beer (a Coors Lite – was it even worth it??) but couldn’t get back onto his tube, so he tried to swim over to the shore with the beer in one hand and the tube in the other. Just as he approached the shore, he startled a muskrat that swam right toward him, veered off, and ran into Travalon’s tube. That shocked the bejeebers out of both of them! After that adventure, the four of us drove to New Glarus and had a wonderful dinner with delightful conversation at a Swiss restaurant. What a fantastic day! 

Famous Hat
 

No comments: