Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Bald Cardinal No Longer Bald



A couple of weeks ago, Hardingfele and I took a walk at lunch, and while we were in the Allen Centennial Gardens, the bald cardinal alit on the path in front of us and hopped ahead of us. I tried to take another picture of him, but once again he escaped as soon as he saw the camera come out. Then today at lunch I was walking in the gardens when I saw a woman taking photos with one of those giant camera lenses across the path. I paused, thinking it was a little rude of her to block the path like that but not wanting to interrupt her photo, and then she put down the camera.

“It’s a baby cardinal,” she said, pointing at a young cardinal hopping around in a tree.

“There’s a bald cardinal too,” I said, and she pointed to where the cardinal was standing on the ground.

“He was feeding the baby,” she told me. “But he’s not really bald – his feathers are just kind of light on top.”

Indeed, the cardinal is no longer bald. He just looks a bit bedraggled now. Whatever was afflicting him, he must be in recovery mode. The people who work in the garden said the bald cardinal has been around for at least three years, so I am wondering if his issue is seasonal, and whatever causes his feathers to fall out is dissipating with the shorter days and cooler nights. Maybe by next month he will look like a classic male cardinal, with a bold, beautiful crest, and maybe that is why the Polar Vortex didn’t kill him – he had feathers on his head to keep him warm at that time. The mystery deepens…

Famous Hat


No comments: