Monday, September 30, 2019

Weekend Lost to a Cold


I hope my readers had a good weekend. Mine was very low-key, because I have a terrible cold. Friday I came home from work and just collapsed, but Travalon the sweetheart picked up curry fish from the Kingdom for me, so I didn't have to leave the house. We just had a quiet night at home. Saturday we were thinking of going to the Badger game, but I was feeling lousy so we just watched them at home. Travalon was saved when his old friend came to town to hang out with him; first we got some chocolate at CocoVaa, then he dropped me at Olbrich Gardens and I walked around praying a rosary while he and his buddy hung out at record stores. I really wasn't feeling any better even after the fresh air and sunshine, so Travalon took me home, and he and his buddy hung out on State Street and at the Union Terrace. Sunday I felt too lousy to go to Mass; we did get coffee in Waunakee, but Westport got rid of their 11 am Mass, so we had to go to 5 pm downtown. First we went on a quest for a beer Travalon had tried called Hawaiian Shirt Party that has pineapple and coconut in it; we went to Barley Pop, but they didn't have it, so we went to Riley's just before Mass and found some. After Mass we went to see Toto, since we had gotten the tickets before I got sick. That was a very good show - they are incredible musicians.

Today I was home sick from work, but eventually I took a walk at Governor's Island just to get some sunshine and fresh air. Was that an adventure - the road there is full of potholes, and there is a tree across the path, so I had to turn around and go back the way I came. Then I went to my garden plot and collected a few Brussel sprouts, even though they still aren't very big yet. I found one good-sized beet, but it had been munched by some creature, and I dug up a bunch of carrots. Tonight I had what was left of the beet, and I roasted the Brussel sprouts - they were so good that Travalon didn't even hate the one he tried! We also had kale and carrots.

Since this is such an uninteresting blog post, I will give you some pictures to look at. The first thing is a conjoined twin banana. Isn't it crazy looking? Inside were two perfect bananas.


One day my colleague and I both wore the same shirt! Isn't that crazy?


Isn't this cool? Crocuses that bloom in the fall! They are all over Allen Centennial Gardens.


Here is the sunset Travalon and I saw from the Union Terrace after jazz on the roof.


And this is the sunset I saw from the boat at the marina donors' party.


Here is the flowerpot I painted at the Allen Centennial Gardens.


This fascinating pyramid made of stones was at Olbrich Gardens.


And here are some carrots from my garden plot. The purple ones seem to be larger than the orange ones, except for the monster one that isn't very orange at all. I was afraid it would taste like wood, but it wasn't too bad. The purple ones were very tasty!


And here are two videos from the recent concerts we went to. First is "Steppin' Out" by Steel Pulse.


And this is "Hold the Line" by Toto.


Famous Hat

No comments: