Friday, September 13, 2019

Vegetable Dinner and Beating the Storm Home



Last night I went to the same vegetable dinner I had attended last year, and this year we thought the food was even better. I met a group of the Slow Food people there, and we wandered from station to station and enjoyed dishes created from heirloom vegetables by local chefs such as carrot “pastrami,” beet brownies, and the one we liked best, candied peppers on cornbread. So good! One of the dishes had a very hot pepper on top of whitefish and a hardy bread, and I forgot that I had touched the pepper. After we had all tried everything, someone said what time it was and I rubbed my eye, which was instantly filled with intense pain. I said, “I have to run to the bathroom to take care of this, and then I’ll head home,” but by the time I got to the bathroom, my eye had already recovered. I had second thoughts that the evening really wasn’t that late, but I felt a little weird to go back to the group after saying goodbye, so I went to the bus stop and the bus soon came by to take me home. It was a new bus with very cushy seats; I have seen these driving around town but hadn’t gotten to ride one yet. When the bus got to the transfer point, I got off and walked to my car, marveling at how there seemed to be lightning in the distance in every direction and even overhead. The entire sky was flashing! “Maybe it is best that I headed home when I did!” I thought… and just as I parked, some lightning struck nearby. Boy, did that scare me! I ran into the house, and not long after the rain poured down and the TV and our phones notified us about a flash flood warning. So then I thought the little bit of pain from the hot pepper in my eye was worth it to get home before a horrible storm!

Famous Hat

No comments: