Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Steel Pulse (Life With Music)



Last night Travalon and I had a very late evening because we went to see the reggae band Steel Pulse at the Barrymore. My Pandora station plays a lot of Steel Pulse, so I knew most of the songs they did. I really enjoyed the show: lively music that is mostly minor key? Check. Lots of dreadlocks? Check. Brightly colored attire? Check! A marijuana flag? But of course! And even a slight scent of wacky weed coming from somewhere in the audience. We mostly sat but got up to dance toward the end, and during the encore when they sang the lyrics to “Rollerskates”: “Life without music, I can’t go, no!” I was totally feeling it. Who can live a life without music?

Just when I was thinking that reggae must indeed be my favorite type of music, today at lunch there was another free Bach concert, with a viola sonata and another for two flutes. Ah, Baroque music! And then there’s salsa. I can’t choose! Luckily I don’t have to. It is so amazing to live in a time and place where musicians perform all these types of music – and more! I have even heard Mongolian throat singers here in town. Not that this would rate as my favorite type of music, but it does have an eerie beauty. Life without music? I can’t go, no – and here in Madison, I don’t have to!

Famous Hat


No comments: