Friday, September 6, 2019

Wimping Out



Did you watch the Packer game last night? A coworker said it was boring because it was so low-scoring, but after a summer of low-scoring games like baseball and soccer, I found it comforting. Truthfully, I am not quite ready for football yet, but it was still good to see that after further review, the Bears still suck. In other Wisconsin vs. Illinois sports news, the Cubs beat the Brewers. How do I feel about this? I’ll give you a hint: I have more than one article of clothing with a Cubs logo on it, but nothing with a Brewers logo. So I guess I’ve got divided loyalties.

Remember when I said I would pray the Litany of Humility every day? Yikes, it works! At first I found the humiliation kind of funny, as if I were trapped in a sitcom. For example, I ran for a committee and everyone in our university Congress voted, then they sent an email to everyone in Congress saying how many votes each person got, and I got the least of the dozen candidates. But recently I was at an event, and not once but twice they asked me to pose for a photo. Then when they posted photos, neither of mine were there! Now I am not a photogenic person, and in general when candid shots are shared of an event, I am not in any of them, so I’m used to that. But in this case they asked me to be in TWO pictures!! Were both of them that bad?? I emailed the event organizer, who replied that there were a lot of photos, they couldn’t choose all of them. Fair enough, but there were photos of everyone else who was there, and of inanimate objects like pastries. I said I was hoping to see the photos, and he sent one but not the other. Of course everyone is critical of their own photos, so I think I look horrible (but OK Cap looks fine); however, I did like the bright colors. You can see for yourself:




So then I couldn’t help thinking, “Oh no, it’s not my imagination – my photograph is so hideous that the event organizers wouldn’t post it!” Then I called Rich and said I don’t think I can handle this Litany of Humility, should I quit doing it? I fully expected him to say it was good mortification, but to my surprise he said there is no need to pray for bad things to happen to you to offer them up. There’s plenty to offer up as it is. He said that is only what very advanced souls do, and I am not an advanced soul! So I am wimping out and not praying the Litany of Humility anymore. I can embarrass myself enough on my own – I sure don’t need extra humiliation sent my way!

Famous Hat


No comments: