Thursday, November 7, 2019

Dream of Dead Whales



Last week I had a strange dream about whales. First there was a female beluga whale who lived in a tank with two other females, and she was dying of breast cancer (or whatever the equivalent is), and the scientists were dispassionately noting, "This sound is her screaming in pain. This sound is her sobbing." I was horrified that neither the scientists nor the other belugas were offering her any comfort. Then there was a woman scientist following a young, healthy male orca, and he suddenly died but nobody knew why, so a helicopter came to take away his body in order for the scientists to study what had happened to him. I woke up from this dream feeling inconsolably sad, but I had no idea what it was about.

Trust the online dream dictionary to know. It says to see a dead whale in your dreams means you are giving up on something you had once believed. I wondered, was I giving up on Catholicism? I mean, I'm about ready to, seeing how some people who call themselves Christians support a man who is the embodiment of all seven deadly sins. Then it occurred to me - of course! What I was giving up was the idea that anyone has absolute morals, and that is why I woke up feeling so sad. If people who call themselves believers said they voted for someone as the lesser of two evils, this I can understand, but it has been bewildering for me how people I considered deeply moral could be all in for someone who is clearly evil himself. They will say he may be vile, but he has done so much good... and isn't that saying the ends justify the means? Maybe this is just part of becoming an adult, realizing that everyone's morals are relative and everyone will justify evil if it benefits their side. I had particularly admired a certain person who has bought into this line of thinking, and now I realize this person is just a human like the rest of us. That is why the dream was so sad - I was losing my illusions that there is anyone above this sort of tribalistic thinking. So maybe I am that whale crying out ("wailing," if you will) in agony, not because I am physically dying but because my illusions are. I just need to remember that Jesus Christ was the only perfect man, and no matter how much someone claims to be his follower, they are still fallible and capable of doing the opposite of his teachings.

Famous Hat

No comments: