Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Mardi Gras North of the Bayou



I hope my readers all have a very spiritual Lent. Travalon says that he is going to give up buying books for Lent, so in that spirit I will add buying plants to the list of things I give up, like desserts. Yesterday I did sort of acquire some new plants – maybe – because I went to the Horticulture greenhouses and picked up a couple of leaves that had fallen off of pink-tinted plants that I loved, a peperomia and a crassula. We’ll see if they actually grow…Maybe the fact that they had fallen off of their own accord does not bode well for their viability.

Last night Travalon and I went to North of the Bayou for our Mardi Gras dinner. When I asked the hostess what the wait was for a table for two, she said, “Thirty minutes – you came on the busiest day of the year!” As if we wouldn’t have expected that a Cajun place would be busy on Mardi Gras, just like an Irish pub would be busy on St. Patrick’s Day. We ended up sitting at the bar, right in front of a band called Cajun Spice which was all women except for the accordion player. I really enjoyed them. I had gator gumbo for dinner, but I don’t think there was any okra in it, so can it really be called “gumbo”? It was very tasty. For dessert we got these decadent things called king cake stuffed beignets, which were a little like a beignet, not really much like a king cake, full of custard, and covered with powdered sugar and little yellow, green, and purple sprinkles. After two of those, I will not need anything sweet for the next forty days! Our bartender was very friendly and animated, draped in an Abita Beer banner like a cape (“Super Abita Man”), and he gave us beads. The restaurant itself looks like Mardi Gras, with a bright pink exterior and an interior wall painted like tie-dye, plus lots of neon signs. I will post a couple of pictures soon. It was a fantastic sendoff for our Lenten voyage!

Famous Hat


No comments: