Thursday, February 6, 2020

Racism and Christianity



I cannot believe I need to say this, but being racist is incompatible with being a Christian. It seems to have something to do with people thinking other people who are not like them are not fully human, so what they do is unholy. I feel like it boils up from the idea that animals are so much less than we are that they don’t have a place in Heaven. Our houseguest went home last night, but while she was with us, the love she showed us was so pure that it was hard to imagine she wouldn’t be there in Heaven. Wherever she ends up, I’d rather be there than with these “pro-life” “Christians” who are so self-righteous. Not that I wish they would go to Hell, but I certainly hope they are in some part of Heaven where I don’t ever have to see them! They can be there with all the other holier-than-thou types who think there are no animals there, and I’ll be in the section with the sinners who knew they weren’t perfect, the animals, and the plants.

Here’s the thing I’ve noticed about racists: they never think they are racist, and they think you are nasty for calling them on it. It’s just a descriptor, like if someone said I am short, except I can’t choose to stop being short and they can certainly choose to be racist or not. It’s like they want to be able to go on acting racist without anyone calling them that, because they realize it’s a bad label. It’s more than using epithets, although that is a terrible thing to do. If you use the N word, you are literally saying you think that person is less than human. But it’s also saying that the only culture that is worthwhile and holy is white European culture. This doesn’t even make sense, because the original Christian culture was not European but Mideastern, so if European-style Christianity is okay, then other flavors of Christianity should be acceptable too. I don’t mind saying something is really wrong in a culture, like cannibalism or headhunting, but aesthetics? How can those be judged to be less holy than European ones? And what is “European” culture, anyway? People used to think the Irish were less than human, but now some Irish symbols are unfortunately being used by white supremacists to imply that they are more fully human than other groups. In my mind, you cannot be a follower of Christ if you think that any group of humans is less than you are, so it is extremely perplexing that so many of these people claim to be Christians. When I went to Confession yesterday, the priest said maybe I should stay off of social media so that I don’t see the worst side of people, but it feels like sticking your head in the sand to pretend that people who are sitting next to you in church don’t have this vile side to them. I admit that I feel a little like a Power Puff girl sometimes, calling people out on social media, but aren’t we supposed to be held to a higher standard as Christians? One person said, “It’s just satire!” but traditionally satire is done by the oppressed to make fun of the oppressors. It’s very cruel to punch downward. Society is a delicate thing, held together by the supposition that those in power will be kind to those beneath them, but lately that balance has gone out the window as the most powerful have made no attempts to even pretend they will not take advantage of their positions. I am not sure where we are headed, but how can it be anywhere good?

Famous Hat


No comments: