Monday, February 24, 2020

Skunk Cabbage Walk



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Friday evening Travalon and I just hung out with our houseguest, taking her on a couple of walks, and then we actually went to bed at a reasonable hour instead of staying up just because it was the weekend. That meant Saturday morning we woke up fairly early and took Doggo for another good walk, and she played in the snow. I had registered for an all-day garden symposium, but the day was gorgeous, and the first session I went to was not helpful, so I bailed and had Travalon come pick me up, then we went to Sauk and took a long walk with the dog. We didn’t see any eagles, probably because it was such a gorgeous day. In the evening we met a bunch of Slow Food people at Working Draft Brewery, which was a lot of fun. Travalon and I had the chocolate and strawberry sour beer – yum! The food was really good too. Then he and I went to Bierock and tried a peanut butter beer and a s’mores beer and a “white stout” – you can get little tasters there. The bartender was really entertaining, telling us about sailing trips he took to Bimini and the bar there where women staple their bras to the ceiling. He saw the horrified look on my face, and I said, “Bras are way too expensive to staple to a ceiling in a bar!” Then we went to bed at our normal weekday time again.

Sunday I had no problem getting up for church due to getting to bed at a reasonable time. Maybe I’ll keep doing this! The FitBit likes it because it says I get enough sleep. Travalon and I drove separately, then we went to brunch with Rich before he went to the Badger basketball game. I went for a walk in the Arboretum with Kathbert to check out the skunk cabbages. Some were starting to come up, but they aren’t really in full bloom yet. It was an even lovelier day than the one before, very sunny and warm. In the evening Rich had us over for dinner, and Travalon came down in his own car, so he could leave when our talk got too nerdy. We did spend some time researching how plants can create their own heat. Most of the plants that do so are in the arum family, like the skunk cabbage, but most are tropical so they aren’t melting the snow around them. We also talked about how when something comes up in conversation, then we start getting email ads for something related, and are our cell phones listening to us? For example, a friend of ours is living with a Polish lady and speaking in Polish, and now she gets emails in Polish. And how does spam email know I am dog sitting? But suddenly I am getting spam about dogs. Kind of creepy…

Famous Hat


No comments: